17th Harrow

Click here to edit subtitle


Useful Information

If you would like to register your child to become part of the 17th Harrow Scout Group, please click the relevant section:

Answering questions on camping, hiking and days out



Camp Sites

We have had many queries from parents who are maybe new to camping, about what the procedure is and what equipment they or their child(ren) need to bring with them. This page will hopefully answer many of these questions.

Generally young people will only be invited to camp when they are Cubs or older. Beavers maybe invited to attend on a day visit or a 24 hour visit. The exception would be when parents are on site with their children such as at the family camp when their child will be the responsibility of the parent on that camp.

If your child is invited on a camp you should receive a letter briefly detailing the event and an acceptance slip on the bottom for you to complete and return.

You should also receive what is known as a Permission to Camp form. This, as the name suggests, officially gives permission to the camp leader for your child to go on camp and also authorises the camp leader to deal with any minor medical issues on camp or if the child needs to be taken to hospital, be able to sign any documentation required by the hospital authorities. It is very important that this form is completed and returned. Without this form your child will not be going on the event.

An example of a typical permission to camp form (this is for the 2015 anniversary camp) is shown here. They do vary slightly from event to event depending on what activities are due to take place. This form for instance also gives permission for your child to take part in air rifle shooting. In addition, we also have a medical form.

With regards to what to bring on camp, this will vary slightly depending on the time of year and what activities are due to take place. However a typical personal equipment list can be found here.

It is most important that your child is equipped with good quality wet weather gear (not a showerproof jacket). This must be at a minimum a cagoule and preferably also over trousers.Also important is the correct footwear, trainers are worse than useless if it is wet and some of the sites can quickly turn into a bog if the rain is heavy or prolonged. Ideally your child should have good quality walking boots (although these can be expensive, particularly if your child may get limited use out of them) or wellingtons. Talk to other parents, they may have suitable footwear which their child has just outgrown. The sleeping bag should be at least 3 season. It does not have to be expensive, just be prepared for it to be a bit bulky and heavy. To carry it all in we would recommend that you get a rucksack of no more than 60 litres in size. This will probably appear to be ridiculous for a Beaver or small Cub, but this will be sufficient to take you right the way through the Scout Troop.

Other equipment such as tents, groundsheets and cooking equipment will be supplied by the Group.



Tolmers Scout Camp & Activity Centre

Tolmers Road, Cuffley, Herts, EN6 4JS

01707 872900


Phasels Wood Activity Centre

Rucklers Lane, Kings Langley, Herts. WD4 9NA

01442 252851

Travelling to Phasels - information here


Paccar Scout Camp (Chalfont Heights)

Dehnham Lane, Chalfont St. Peter, Bucks, SL9 0QJ

01753 882640

Travelling to Paccar - information here


Leeswood Activity Centre

Fir Tree Hill, Chandlers Cross, Herts, WD3 4LY

01923 233281

Travelling to Leeswood - information here


Wayland Scout Campsite

Wayland Campsite, Old Harrow Ln, Buckhurst Rd, TN16 2HR

Travelling to Wayland - information here

Click to edit table header


Bury Lake

Rickmansworth Aquadrone, Frogmoor Lane, Hertfordshire

Postcode for sat nav: WD3 1NB


Looking to the future, we are always looking for more adult support. 

You do not need any prior experience and we can give you excellent training if you require it. Your support does not necessarily have to extend to directly helping with the boys and girls in the Group. It may involve helping to provide transport to or from camps, you maybe able to help in the Group’s administration, or running social events, or assist our quartermaster with the Group’s equipment, or help with the building maintenance or as caretaker, booking secretary or maintaining the Group website. Most of these roles are currently carried out by uniformed leaders.